Property Division

Property Division in Common-Law Relationships
(Relationships of interdependence)

Over the years, more and more unmarried couples in Calgary, Alberta, are moving in and sharing their lives together. Much confusion still exists regarding common-law (relationship of interdependence) rights and obligations. At Soby Boyden Lenz, we can provide clarity and pursue your interests if the relationship ends — especially in the key area of property division. 

Right to equality

In Alberta, cohabiting couples must meet certain requirements to be considered an adult interdependent partnership. Our lawyers can help you determine if you qualify. If you are in a common-law partnership and are planning to separate, we can provide advice through the process.

Claims of
Unjust Enrichment

If you do not meet the legal requirement of an adult interdependent relationship, you may still be in a position to seek an equitable share of property acquired during the relationship. This can happen in cases where one party contributed to the increase in value of property, such as performing renovations to a home or conducting unpaid work for a spouse’s business.

If you are seeking a share of property or your ex-partner is claiming such from you, our lawyers can help. We will assess the facts, figures and applicable laws and prepare a case to defend your interests.I